Just Dance with the Algorithm: A parent’s guide to computing at home
Following on from last week’s workshop, Big Data, this week’s workshop in our computing at home teaching series is Just Dance with the Algorithm, a workshop that will introduce your children to the wonderful world of Algorithms.
An Algorithm is a set of step-by-step instructions that can be followed in order to carry out a task.
This workshop is perfect for ages 5 -14 years.
Part 1 of the workshop will introduce the concept of algorithms and how these can be used to plan a dance routine.
- To begin, we will design 3 dance sequences and name them to learn about functions (named sequences of instructions)
- We will then learn about the three building blocks of programming: sequence, selection and iteration
- Finally, we will test our dance algorithm to make sure it fits with the music and make any changes necessary
Part 2 of the workshop will teach your child how to convert the dance algorithm created in part one into a fully digitised version using Construct 3!
- To begin, we will learn how to import assets (these are all the things you will be using in your game i.e. images, sound etc.)
- Next, we will learn how to create an animation using a sequence of images
- Finally, we will learn how to create functions by naming our sequences of instructions and about calling a function by deciding when each function should be run
I hope your little learners enjoy Just Dance with the Algorithm please do get in touch with me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any comments or feedback on the workshop and don't forget to check out all our past workshops, here.